House of the Dragon is the highly anticipated prequel series to the hit HBO show Game of Thrones. The series is based on George R.R. Martin’s book Fire & Blood and tells the story of House Targaryen, the ruling family of the Seven Kingdoms before the events of Game of Thrones. In this article, we’ll explore everything we know about House of the Dragon, from the cast and characters to the plot and production details.
Cast and Characters
House of the Dragon boasts an impressive cast of actors, including:
- Paddy Considine as King Viserys I Targaryen: Viserys I is the fifth Targaryen king to sit on the Iron Throne and the grandfather of Daenerys Targaryen.
- Olivia Cooke as Alicent Hightower: Alicent is the daughter of the Hand of the King and the second wife of King Viserys I.
- Emma D’Arcy as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen: Rhaenyra is the daughter of King Viserys I and the rightful heir to the Iron Throne.
- Matt Smith as Prince Daemon Targaryen: Daemon is the younger brother of King Viserys I and a skilled warrior.
- Rhys Ifans as Otto Hightower: Otto is the Hand of the King and the father of Alicent Hightower.
- Steve Toussaint as Lord Corlys Velaryon: Corlys is a wealthy and powerful lord known as the Sea Snake, and is married to Princess Rhaenys Targaryen.
House of the Dragon is set 300 years before the events of Game of Thrones and follows the rise of House Targaryen. The series begins with King Viserys I Targaryen announcing his successor, which sets off a power struggle between his daughter Rhaenyra and his second wife Alicent. As the conflict between the two women escalates, the Seven Kingdoms are thrown into chaos, and the Targaryen dynasty is threatened.
House of the Dragon is produced by George R.R. Martin, Ryan Condal, and Miguel Sapochnik. The series is set to have ten episodes in its first season and is being filmed in various locations around the world, including England, Spain, and Portugal. The show is being produced by HBO and is expected to have a similar production value to Game of Thrones.
House of the Dragon is set to premiere on HBO in 2022, though an exact release date has not yet been announced. The show was first announced in 2019, and production began in 2020. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, production was delayed for several months, but filming has since resumed.
House of the Dragon is one of the most highly anticipated TV shows of the year, and fans of Game of Thrones are eagerly awaiting its premiere. With an impressive cast, an intriguing plot, and the production value of HBO, House of the Dragon is sure to be a hit. As more details are revealed about the show, fans can look forward to learning even more about the history of the Seven Kingdoms and the rise of House Targaryen.